Technical support issues
Macau's 39 casinos saw total gaming revenue drop nearly 80% year-over-year to just over $658.31 million due to the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
Official information from Enclave's Office of Game Inspection and Coordination shows the 31-day figure represents a 69.4% improvement compared to February but is still down 76.2% from January's final tally of about $2.77 billion.
Many casinos in Macau now have total first-quarter total gaming revenue of $3.81 billion, representing a nearly 60% drop compared to the same three-month period of about $9.53 billion in 2019.
Everyone at Macau casinos has been closed for 15 days as authorities struggle to contain the spread of the potentially deadly coronavirus variant that has infected 41 locals. Although the venues have been allowed to reopen since Feb. 20, they are said to still have a hard time attracting players mainly due to widespread travel restrictions imposed by the neighboring Chinese government.
Public security police reportedly showed that semi-autonomous Macau welcomed only about 500 foreign tourists on Sunday and Monday. The figures are reportedly in stark contrast to the more than 108,000 non-Indigenous visitors estimated to have traveled daily to the former Portuguese enclave in 2019, when the year-end tally topped 39.4 million.
Authorities in neighboring Guangdong province, which has long served as an important supply indicator for many casinos in Macau, last week tightened coronavirus-related protections by enforcing a 14-day quarantine requirement for people entering Macau from outside mainland China. The measure, on the contrary, is said to be preceded by stricter entry restrictions, along with a similar quarantine period, for those traveling or visiting Macau from Hong Kong or Taiwan.
Monday, September 25, 2023